Tuesday, October 23, 2007

iLoveBlessings: Job Search (Chapter 2)

I was in the office worrying about permanent job search – I already signed up for leadership conference in Thailand and I needed to end my temporary job before that and have a permanent job that I can start work after the trip – if not, my parents will start scolding me for being a slacker. I’m not slacker la, if you know me; you know I never slack one lor… I just take my time… whaha… EH… but I always get things done ok! Anyways, while I was worrying, I haven even send out any resume yet. Ok, maybe I was lazy, I dunno – but I know I don’t want to just sent out resume to ‘trial and error’ for interview chances, I don’t want to waste my time. I have no interest to go for interviews until I know what kind of job I really wanted or until I know of a job description that is close to what I wanted.

So one day in the office, on the first week of October, I read The Message Version of Matthew 6. I was so amazed at how God’s Word spoke to me that day.

Matthew 6:25-34 (The Message)
25-26"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.

27-29"Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? All this time and money wasted on fashion—do you think it makes that much difference? Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them.

30-33"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.

34"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

All my doubts and uncertainties were eradicated after reading this passage and I told God that I’ll trust in Him in the circumstance – though I really have no idea how things will work out. However, I really have confidence in God, as I have experienced how he blessed me in my exams and the finding of my temporary job and many other incidents.

*****

Through many experiences over these years as a Christian, I have learned what it means to have faith and trust in God. Being logical, I thought that how possible is it to get what I want by just trusting in God and not working for it. I struggled a lot in understanding what ‘faith in God’ is. Then after many experiences and teachings of the Word, I realize that if we believe that something can be done, we will work hard. So if I believe that God will bless me, I’ll work hard at the given opportunities.

*****